Monday, November 17, 2008

ALONE AGAIN, NATURALLY - Gilbert O' Sullivan




Alone Again (Naturally)
(O'Sullivan)

intro: Gbmaj7 Gb6 Bbm7 Eb7 Abm7 Db7-9 Gbmaj7 Gb6

Gbmaj7 Gb6
In a little while from now
Bbm7
If I'm not feeling any less sour
Dbm
I promise myself to treat myself
Bbm7-5 Eb7
And visit a nearby tower
Abm7
And climbing to the top
Abm7-5
To throw myself off
Gb Gb+
In an effort to make it clear to who-
Gb6 F7
ever what it's like when you're shattered
Bbm7
Left standing in the lurch
Dbm Eb7
At a church with people saying
Abm7
"My God, that's tough, she stood him up
Abm7-5
No point in us remaining
Gbmaj7 Gb6
We may as well go home"
Bbm7 Eb7
As I did on my own
Abm7 Db7-9 Gbmaj7 Gb6
Alone again, naturally

To think that only yesterday
I was cheerful bright and gay
Looking forward - who wouldn't do?
The role I was about to play
And as if to knock me down
Reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch
Threw me into little pieces
Leaving me to doubt
Talk about God in his mercy
Who if He really does exist
Why did He desert me
In my hour of need
I truly am indeed
Abm7 Db7-9 Gb
Alone again, naturally

bridge: A E7
It seems to me that there are more hearts broken in the world
G#m7-5 C#7-9
Than can be mended
A D#m7-5
Left unattended
C#maj7
What do we do?
G#m7 C#7-9
What do we do?

Looking back over the years
And whatever else appears
I remember I cried when my father died
Never wishing to hide my tears
And at sixty-five years old
My mother, God rest her soul
Couldn't understand why the only man
She had ever loved had been taken
Leaving her to start
With a heart so badly broken
Despite encouragement from me
No words were ever spoken
When she passed away
I cried and cried all day

tag: Abm7 Db7-9 Bbm7 Eb7

Alone again naturally
Abm7 Db7-9 Db7 Gb
Alone again... naturally

=======

Alone again (Naturally) by Gilbert O’Sullivan

 

     F - Am - Bb - C - F

 

    F                                               Am

1. In a little while from now, if I'm not feeling any less sour,

       Cm                                                  D                   D7

    I promise myself to treat myself and visit a nearby tower,

            Gm                             Bbm

    and climbing to the top to throw myself off,

              F                        Dm

    in an effort to make it clear to who -

                 F                                     E

    ever what it's like when you're shattered

           Am                                    Cm                        D

    left standing in the lurch at a church with people saying,

            Gm                                                         Bbm

    "My God, that's tough, she stood him up, no point in us remaining.

             F                                    Am                D

    We may as well go home." As I did on my own,

     Gm             - C            F

    alone again,       naturally.

 

            F                                                Am

2. To think that only yesterday I was cheerful bright and gay,

                Cm                                                  D                            D7

    looking forward - who wouldn't do ? - The role I was about to play.

               Gm                            Bbm

    And as if to knock me down reality came around,

                  F                           Dm                            F              E

    and without so much as a mere touch threw me into little pieces,

     Am                                     Cm                     D

    leaving me to doubt, talk about God in his mercy,

          Gm                               Bbm

    who if he really does exist, why did he desert me

    F                               Am              D

    in my hour of need I truly am indeed

     Gm             - C            F

    alone again,      naturally.

 

    G#                                                                D#

    It seems to me that there are more hearts broken in the world

                          Bbm     - C              G#        - Fm

    than can be mended,      left unattended.

                         C                        Gm  - C

    What do we do? What do we do?

 

 

+  instrumental = verse 1 (last line sung)

 

      F                                                      Am

3. Looking back over the years and whatever else appears,

         Cm                                                               D                            D7

  I remember I cried when my father died, never wishing to hide my tears.

               Gm                                 Bbm

    And at sixty-five years old, my mother, God rest her soul,

                  F                             Dm

    couldn't understand why the only man

                   F                               E

    she had ever loved had been taken.

     Am                                     Cm                    D

    Leaving her to start with a heart so badly broken,

         Gm                                               Bbm

    despite encouragement from me, no words were ever spoken.

         F                                   Am                        D

    When she passed away I cried and cried all day,

      Gm            - C            F   - D7             Gm - C             F

    alone again       naturally,         alone again        naturally.

 

 

 

No comments: